I have set up a new role in my Sitecore 8 (update 3) instance and have assigned the following roles to it (as well as giving read/write access to my content tree):
sitecore\Sitecore Client Translating
sitecore\Sitecore Client Users
sitecore\Sitecore Client Authoring
sitecore\Sitecore Client Designing
When logged in and using the Content Editor, I can change language ok. When I change language in the Page Editor Experience Editor however, (using Experience > Language menu item) I get a 404 error. If I clear the URL in the browser to the root (hostname) the language appears to have been changed.
Edit: Additional Information
It's worth noting that:
- The solution does not use translated items. We have a separate content tree (within a single instance) for each site/language.
- The linkManager is configured to use DisplayName for the URL.